trance

Post new topic  Reply to topic Trance (international) -> Merlyn Martin San Diego Sessions vol.2 Red (side a) 1996
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djmerlyn_martin

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008 04:41    Post subject: Merlyn Martin San Diego Sessions vol.2 Red (side a) 1996 Reply with quote

Hello all Merlyn Martin here from Hazardous Radio/Biohazard Productions in Los Angeles. I
am proud to present to you The San Diego Sessions Vol. 2 - Red (side a) 1996. This Volume
is a digital conversion of my mix tape from 1996 called DJ Merlyn "Red". The enclosed
recording is side A of the second promotional tape from a 3 part series of Progressive
House/Acid Trance tapes called Blue, Red, and White.

Please read back story:

In 1995-96 a shift of sorts started to happen in the Los Angeles/ San Diego scene. Music
was progressing to a more harder sound coming out of Germany and the U.K. Events were
starting to become more themed, more underground, and more grander in production. Things
were moving back toward the rave and away from the club and after-hour events. The numbers
of people coming out to events was on the climb. Events from Techno, House, Jungle, and
Happy Hardcore - there seemed to be something for everyone.

One of the key factors was a record store in San Diego called Amato Records which was
affiliated with Amato Distribution from the U.K.. The partnership with Amato also included
distribution of the most cutting edge tracks coming out of Europe to shops that would not
other wise have access. This for a short time allowed the local DJ's in Southern
California to have access to the same tracks as the larger jocks in U.K. and the rest of
Europe. The output of new music on a weekly basis was staggering compared to years past.

In 1996 I was a rotating resident DJ at an after-hours event in San Diego called
Romperoom. This club was special in the regard that the people who attended in hind sight
were very open minded. This crowd would let you play hard banging Acid Trance, Goa, with
some progressive house mixed in for measure and not skip a beat. The crowd could vary on
any given night, they would look commercial and conservetive, but shock you by showing you
that they could take more, that they wanted more, they wanted the music harder, faster. It
was truly the first place where I could see that boundaries are what we make them. Many
nights you would be shocked to find out the guy partying next to you was a Doctor, the
other guy an Executive for a large business firm, a T.V. actor, a Raver, Candy Kid, of
course college kids, and Club Girls and all there beauty co-existing for one cause to
dance their ass's off to the best music!

- In short this second volume called "Red" is a demo cassette tape that I produced in
early 1996. It was a two sided cassette I believe both sides represents and tells a
different story in it's own way as a good mixed tape is suppose to do. It is anything but
perfect, but what it lacks technically at times was never able to be duplicated in
feeling, and or vibe when attempting to rerecord. It is open to individuel interpretation
as all music should be, it means something different to every person who hears it.

There was between 1000-2000 copies of the DJ Merlyn "Red" cassette, it was circulated
locally in the San Diego and Los Angeles area. All I will ask is is the same thing I asked
12 years ago when I would hand the tape to anyone who would take it "if you don't like
what you hear, than please give it to someone who might"!

Regards,
Merlyn

==================================================
==================================================
================================================== =

Check out MySpace.com Blogs - Merlyn Martin MySpace Blog - for other DJ mixes from Merlyn
Martin/djmerlyn. Keep checking back for Merlyn Martin San Diego Sessions containing old
djmerlyn techno/trance mixes from the 90's Afterhours/Raves, San Diego Romperoom, and Los
Angeles Insomnia days.
* To join the direct email list email Info@djmerlyn.com

This mix is will be available as a podcast through the itunes music store soon. please
feel free to check it out, as well as the Merlyn Martin "Subdivisions" podcast series
featuring the ever changing progressive sounds of Techno.

* Please right click link to download to your browser
Pod Cast(Short Vocal Intro)
-
http://www.djmerlyn.com/audio/merlyn_red_sideA_podcast.mp3
DJ Mix (no talking)
http://www.djmerlyn.com/audio/merlyn_red_sideA.mp3
http://homepage.mac.com/djmerlyn_mar...ts/podcast.xml

Track Listing: Side A

Artist, Track, Label

Quadran - "Eternally" - Bonzai Trance
V. - "Anjuna" - Solid Silver Rec
Paul Van Dyke - "Beautiful" - PVD
Nylon Moon- "Sky Plus" - Positiva Rec
Stormy Weather- "White Label U.K."
Cores - "Matubu" -Noom Rec
Duran & Penton - "Falling Behind the Lines" - Resonance Rec
Pablo Gargano - "Inside Your Mind" -Metropolitan Rec

Richard "merlyn" Martin
DJ/Producer The Subdivisions/Hazardous Radio
info@djmerlyn.com
MySpace.com - Merlyn Martin - 35 - Male - Los Angeles, California -
www.myspace.com/merlyn_martin

Post new topic  Reply to topic SPRACI Forum Index -> Trance (international) All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: